There are simple ways to get more and more off the grid in your home.
Becoming Sustainable is not a quick trip to the market and boom its done. This is something that takes research, understanding, but also sympathy. Sympathy for the world around you, to carry a heart of compassion and care for wildlife and nature. Sustainability is a truth that needs to be internalized, we can not continue our lives in such wasteful manners.
And so, with that being said, I would love to give you a break down of what I have learnt in becoming an off-the-grid citizen. Now I know off-the-grid may sound really strange but it is a simple concept.
To become off-the-grid, simply means to not rely on the municipalities that provide water and electricity, but to rather become your own provider of water and electricity. You asking how this can be done, and I shall tell you!
Truth be told, I really appreciate this type of lifestyle. It brings a sense of connection to what we receive, water or electricity or even food. It allows you to feel independent from a system that can become rather failing in some situations.
So enough of me babbling lets just get to the good stuff!!
- RAIN WATER HARVESTING – A technique of collecting the rain water that falls on your house roof. The water is collected through the gutters and is either stored in a small or large JOJO tank. https://www.jojo.co.za/ . The water that is then collected can then we stored and then filtered and used for your house and or for your garden.
- SUN ENERGY HARVESTING – A technique that collects the sun light and heat. The heat and light is stored and converted to energy. Solar panels are amazing for home usage. They store and convert energy extremely well. And yes this may seem like a topic that is over done but it is a very helpful method of becoming sustainable. https://www.solarbeam.co.za/
- CHANGING YOUR LIGHT BULBS – Surprisingly this is something that is really easy and quick. Halogen incandescent, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), and light emitting diodes (LEDs) are really energy efficient lights.
- GROWING YOUR OWN FRUIT AND VEGGIES – You do not need acres to grow your own fruit and vegetables. All you is a space that is 1m x 2m of garden that can be turned into a veggie patch. This patch can be full sun or semi-sun. Buy some fruiting trees, and grow them in pots or integrate them into your garden. If you want full diagrams of what to grow when and which plants can be grown together, I will link my new sustainable gardening blog.
- BUY SECOND HAND ITEMS – This is something I have previously mentioned before, but I feel it needs to be reiterated as it is extremely important to not become dependent on mass production. Buying second hand items is an amazing way to reply on major brands and thus allows you to become more off-the-grid.
In conclusion, there are many easy and difficult things one can do to become off the grid. This process is both complicated and simple, cheap and expensive. But the question of whether it is worth it is the deciding factor. It is worth it, to live a life unbound to restrictions. A conscience free lifestyle that benefits the earth and you at the same time. So if you were wondering if this is something you should do, I highly suggest you do!
שירותי ליוויAugust 23, 2022
Can I just say what a relief to uncover an individual who really understands what theyre talking about on the web. You certainly know how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people ought to read this and understand this side of the story. I was surprised that you arent more popular given that you most certainly have the gift.